Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Paperwork.... and Spontaneity


I have been busy finalizing my Miss America paperwork... late nights and early morning meetings with Directors to brainstorm about my platform make me realize just how quickly the Miss America pageant is approaching. Time really does fly by!

I have also been busy making appearances to promote my platform. Yesterday I participated in an event in Holyoke, MA entitled Holyoke's “National Night Out”. I had been looking forward to this event for quite some time because I would be appearing with Bill Cosby! Shortly before the event, I received a call that Bill Cosby could not make it to Holyoke, therefore I would be the keynote speaker for the evening! I rushed off and as soon as I arrived, I was shuffled on stage to say a few words. This cemented the idea that with a job such as “Miss Massachusetts” you need to be ready for anything that is thrown at you... whether it is a little boy telling you that “You are sweating like a man” (which has happened! HAHA) or having to speak at a prestigious event at the last minute, you need to know how to respond accordingly and with ease.

While taking part in media interviews, a man handed me the phone. Still trying to take everything in stride, I said “hello” and could not believe when the man responding said that it was Bill Cosby! We talked about summer bugs (ew!) and the wonderful cause that we were all gathering to support. Holyoke's National Night Out was an event that brought together Holyoke's Fire Fighters, Police Officers, local organizations, and citizens to take a stand against violence. It was a night where everyone came together to meet the courageous individuals who were protecting their city.

I had a great time and must say THANK YOU to the city of Holyoke and to Lorraine Gorham for helping to arrange my participation in this event.
Love, Alicia

No comments: