Saturday, October 25, 2008

Welcome Home and Catwalkin'

I need to begin by saying:
WELCOME HOME to the 972nd Military Police Unit!


Last Sunday, I had the honor of attending a Welcome Home Ceremony in Faneuil Hall dedicated to the Troops of the 972nd Military Police Unit. They have returned from service in Iraq and were greeted by their families and friends, Massachusetts Senator John Kerry... and ME! :) When I arrived, the Troops presented me with a certificate acknowledging my community involvement! I was in awe of these amazing men and women. The courage that they display in their every day lives is truly admirable. It was a privilege to be present and interact with the troops and their families. I had to hold back tears numerous times during the ceremony. At one point, the Soldier's children were honored and presented with medals by their parents. It was beautiful to see the pride in the eyes on the Troops and their families. I am so blessed to be able to take part in such an amazing ceremony. It made me thankful for my own family and opportunities. I spent the rest of the day enjoying the autumn weather in Boston by strolling Faneuil Hall, enjoying lunch at Wagamama, sipping on warm apple cider, while enjoying wonderful company!

After I returned from Boston, I had a few days to prepare for the “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” Fall Fashion Show. The Fashion show is a charity event that features local models and vendors who help to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. I participated in the show last year and was VERY excited to hear that I was invited back to model! Once the rehearsals and fittings were over, it was showtime. I walked the runway in loads of beautiful clothes from local stores including CiCi Boutique in Northampton, MA and Cache. For my final runway pass, I wore a couture gown made of peacock feathers! The event was a great opportunity to raise money for a worthy cause, have a lot of fun, and meet many amazing people and talented models from Western Massachusetts! I am so lucky to have participated this year as Miss Massachusetts 2008!

Love, Alicia

No comments: