Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cheers to 2009!

I would like to begin this post by saying : HAPPY 2009! It is crazy how quickly time goes by... I can remember when it was the year 2000, like it was yesterday... Here I am, in the year 2009, preparing to compete for Miss America. Nuts! Isn't it? Who would have thought?!

Over the past few weeks, people have been asking me “Alicia, are you READY for Miss America?!” I tell them that I will never feel like I am completely prepared for this opportunity. How can you be? Competing at Miss America is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It feels as though there is always something else that you can do to better yourself in preparation for the experience. Personally, I think that is where the beauty of this opportunity lies. It is necessary to always push and set new standards of excellence for yourself so that when the time rolls around, you are the best YOU that you can possibly be. On that note, I have finalized and picked up my wardrobe. Participated in numerous mock interviews and current event cram sessions, Tried my best to follow a “high protein” diet and lift weights (HAHA!).

In preparation for the talent competition, I have been spending a lot of time in the dance studio. We had to rework my original dance because of the new 90 second time restraint, but I the final product is a piece that is moving and that I feel very passionate about.

Thank you to Valerie Amaral, Miss Massachusetts 2007, for providing the vocals, PD Studio for recording the track, and my brother, Eddie Zitka, for choreographing the dance. ]

When I perform my talent I know that I won't be dancing alone... Those who have contributed to my dancing career and who have helped shape me into the performer that I am will be dancing with me. Thank you all!

On Saturday night I had the special opportunity to perform my Miss America talent for the first time on stage, in front of an audience. I, along with “Miss Teen Western MA”, Amanda Morton, was invited to be a guest performer at the “Artistic Dance Conservatory Annual Charity Gala”!

There I ran into some old friends that I used to dance with and made some new ones! It was so much fun to be able to perform, watch the dancers, and speak with the audience about the Miss America Organization. I really think that this appearance was valuable preparation for the Miss America Pageant. I leave in less than two weeks and I am beginning to feel that it is crunch time!

All that is left for me to do is... PACK. Oh my. I have been dreading this... I can honestly say that I have over 14 ongoing lists of things that I cannot forget to bring to Miss America. Of course, I am bound to forget something, but I am trying my best not to. I found out that my roommate in Las Vegas will be “Miss Georgia”... Hi Chasity! I look forward to getting to know her better. Besides finishing up my Miss America Prep, I have had the opportunity to visit relatives and spend some time with my friends, which is nice.


Last Sunday, my local committee, “Miss Western Massachusetts/Greater Holyoke”, held a self-off party in my honor! It was a nice way for me to catch up with individuals who I have encountered on my “Road to Miss America”. The party was held at the Holyoke Carousel, which was a blast! I had never been, but it ended up being the perfect place for a party. During the event, I was able to mingle with family and friends, eat delicious food (Thank you Pajers, in Agawam, MA.!), and ride the carousel. Those couple of hours definitely shot my spirits to the sky and made me super excited to head to Vegas!

Thank you to the Miss Massachusetts Board of Directors, The Miss Massachusetts Board of Directors, my Parents, Friends, the Massachusetts Local Titleholders, and all of the Sponsors for their endless support!

Love, Alicia

No comments: