Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tasting... McDonalds! AIDS Walk Boston

I cannot believe that it is already June 1st. Summer is on it's way! My "Right Decisions Right Now" School Tour headed to Chicopee, MA. on Monday for a visit at Lambert School. I think that some of the student are ready for summer, too... They were so eager and energetic during my presentation, just the way that I like them to be! When my powerpoint was finished, we had an autograph session. During this, I sat at a desk while the children lined up and met me one at a time. I loved spending a little quality time with each student. Some even shared stories with me about when they were offered a cigarette and how they said no or how they stood up to a bully. Others told me how happy they were that I came in to visit because now they know how to respond to certain situations. It made me very happy to see how kids were responding! I am thrilled that I can help someone overcome something and be a role model to these students!
The next day, I was in for a treat... I had been invited to West Springfield, "Taste of the Valley" which is an event where local restaurants from Western Massachusetts set up booths in the center of the town and locals can sample the dishes. That event takes place on June 12th. On Tuesday, the "Taste of the Valley" Chef's Preview took place at the Springfield Country Club and I had been invited to attend! At the event I ran into some friends from the West Springfield Rotary and William Wagner, President of Chicopee Savings Bank. Mr. Wagner introduced himself to me and told me that he was a friend of my "Big Papa" (Great Grandfather) who passed in 2005. He brought tears to my eyes when he told me how proud my Big Papa would be of me today. I am glad to have met him and to hear stories from my past.
On Thursday, I was invited to attend another event that revolved around food (do we see a trend here?) This time, I was a special guest at the Grand Opening of a McDonalds in Whitinsville, MA. At the Pancake Breakfast in Springfield, MA. I met Ronald McDonald and we chatted for a while. I guess he liked me and appreciated my love for french fries because he requested me for this appearance at McDonalds!

Ok... so, if you know me, you know my love for fast food - everything in moderation, of course. When I was competing in 2008 for Miss Massachusetts, I definitely tried to eat healthier leading up the the pageant. An unexpected trip to Los Angeles, put a slight damper on that, but I was eating better than I usually did... meaning, NO FAST FOOD! After I won the title of Miss MA, the ones who know me best (Nickie and Nikki) brought me MCDONALDS to feast upon!

My dad and I arrived in Whitinsville, met with Ronald McDonald and Mike with the Mic. I was expecting to see burgers and Mcnuggets when we entered the restaurant, but to my surprise, there was a swanky layout of cheese/crackers, finger sandwhiches, and vegetables. The event was beautifully done with VIPs from Whitinsville present. There was a flag raising, ribbon cutting, and the school band from the town played!
As the even was dying down, Ronald let me have some fun! The staff allowed me to go behind the counter and work the drive-thru! It is definitely more difficult than it looks! The looks on the customers faces when I handed them their food, was priceless! After working for a while, I was led on a tour of the back of the restaurant. I saw how my favorite McNuggets were made and a freezer that had more french fries in it than I could eat in a lifetime (and I love fries)!!!
Later in the week, I had to work off all of that fast food. I did so by participating in the AIDS Walk in Boston! My morning began in the VIP Tent near Boston's Hatch Memorial Shell where I walked around, greeted everyone, and thanked them for participating. I was excited to spot other people wearing crowns! When you raised a certain amount of money, you were given a crown! Once the walk began, I was allowed to mingle throughout the area, meeting local vendors and people involved.

I finally made my way to the finish line (taking a short cut to beat the runners/walkers) and became an instant member of the Cheering Brigade! A group of us held streemers and flags and congratulated the individuals who completed the walk! It was a lot of fun and I made a lot of friends, including Crystal who shared with me her struggle with Mitochondrial Disease. She demonstrated such strength and courage and for that, I admire her.
I also ran into Miss Boston 2009, Lacy Folger, Danielle Muehlenbein, (a former contestant for Miss Massachusetts), Ms. New England, and Ms. Massachusetts. It was a wonderful time for a very important cause!

Love, Alicia

No comments: