Sunday, May 31, 2009

Miss Massachusetts 2009 Orientation Day

Today was Orientation for the Miss Massachusetts 2009 Pageant... and it was amazing! It was the first day that all of the contestants competing for Miss Massachusetts 2009 were together. The day began bright and early with the crowning of our last titleholder. Brett Bimmler was crowned "Miss Bristol County"! She originally finished as 1st-runnerup at the local pagant, but the winner was unable to compete at Miss MA this year, so Brett was called in at the last minute! I admire Brett for her gusto! Most girls competing have been preparing for months for the state pageant and Brett has decided to step in and give it her all! Way to go!
Once the "Miss MA Class of 2009" was complete, the Miss Massachusetts Board of Directors spoke about the job obligations of Miss MA and what the new lady can expect once she is crowned. Wait, a new Miss MA? This is when it hit me that I wouldn't be wearing this crown forever. As a titleholder, you begin to anticipate the end long before it is there. You sometimes think, "How am I going to feel when this is over?" or "Who will the new titleholder be?" or "did I do all that I could?" However, this was the first time that I was in the presence of all of the local titleholders... and the woman who would be the next Miss Massachusetts! It was slightly sad, but also exciting!

After Buffy spoke, it was my turn to speak with the contestants and business managers. I had been dreading this for quite some time. Not because I don't like to speak in front of a crowd (we all know that I am a chatterbox!) but because I had SO MUCH that I wanted to say to the girls and to the next Miss MA, who was sitting in the audience. I had prepared talking points and went over them again and again. The main points of my speech were to have respect, use your crown as a tool to serve the people of Massachusetts, be prepared for anything, and cherish every single second of your journey. It was very important for me to speak from the heart about my job as Miss MA because I have put my all in to serving. When I was talking, it touched me to see Miss MA 2006 and Miss MA 2007 in the audience nodding along with what I was saying. These ladies knew what I was talking about.

The contestants were then asked to choose their contestant order. The Miss Massachusetts Organization has a fair way of doing this. After you win a local competition, you are encouraged to get your paperwork completed and in to the State Board as soon as possible. The sooner you get your paperwork in, the earlier you get to choose your contestant order AND the better seats you get for the Miss MA pageant! It is pretty important stuff... I know one contestant who won her local title, completed her state paperwork that evening, then drove 2+ hours to make sure that it was in the State Boards hands the next day! (Gina, cough cough ;)
The next portion of "orientation" was the presentation of swimsuits and talent performances by the 2009 contestants. This is to make sure that everything is "up to code". No innappropriate swimsuits or costume mishaps. It all went smoothly and let me tell you... If you are planning on attending the 2009 Miss MA Pageant (July 10th and 11th @ The Hanover Theater) you are in for a treat! The girls competing are very talented, intelligent, and lovely! It will be quite the show and competition!

The contestants had a quick change before we all headed to the Orientation Reception a Assumption College in Worcester, MA. This event is open to all and is the first time that the public meets the contestants. Buffy addessed the audience, then I spoke about highlights of my year as Miss Massachusetts and introduced the contestants!
Remember when I said that the women competing for Miss MA 2009 were all lovely and talented? Well, you can add accomplished, drived, dedicated, and well-spoken to that list. Each contestant spoke about her community service work and educational background and I was very impressed with each and every one!
I hope that you all can join us at the Hanover Theater on July 10th and 11th to see these women compete for the journey of a lifetime!

Love, Alicia


No comments: