Thursday, September 18, 2008

Massachusetts Day at the Big E

I went back to the Big E today to help celebrate “MASSACHUSETTS DAY”! I was thrilled that I was representing my STATE at my city's local fair. When I arrived, I set up my CMN table outside of the Massachusetts State Building. The table was outside this time... which presented some challenges! It was freezing and very windy where we were, but Auntie Josie, Mema, and I sat at the table hardly able to chat people up for donations!



Within an hour, things began to warm up. I spotted an old friend Gloria Tuperkisis, from “Dance Capers”, which is a dance competition that I used to compete in. She introduced me to her dancers and even let me take over her stage for a few minutes to speak about the Miss America Organization and the Children's Miracle Network! That prompted people to come over to my table and talk. For most of the day, I collected donations and got to know the wonderful people of my community a little better.

In the early afternoon, I had the opportunity to meet a very special guest and to see a few familiar faces, as well. While greeting visitors to the MA State Building, I met with Massachusetts Governor, Duval Patrick! We had the chance to chat a bit about what was going on in our lives and the state. I also ran into State Representative James Welch again! I met Mr. Welch at the Massachusetts State House this summer and since then feel like I have been bumping into him everywhere.


After the meet and greet of guests, I was running to catch my car for the Massachusetts Day Parade. Parades are a lot of fun for me because I love smiling at people and seeing their reactions. Even when I am crownless, I always smile at strangers. It brightens my day when someone smiles back and makes me laugh when they don't! :)

Love, Alicia

No comments: