Sunday, November 30, 2008

Give Thanks for Blessings

I hope that everyone had a Thanksgiving that was filled with Family, love, and comfort food. Every year, my family has three Thanksgiving's. Let me explain. First, we head to my Aunt's house and have Thanksgiving dinner with my Dad's side of the family. Later in the evening, we celebrate with my Mom's side of the family. Finally, on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, my Mom insists that we cook at our house and have our own Thanksgiving! So much delicious food, so many shared memories. This year was especially important for me to give thanks for the blessings in my life... health, happiness, and opportunity. Of course, I am also thankful for being Miss Massachusetts! I am thankful for the support that I have received from those around me, the friends that I have made through my work with the Miss America Organization, and the fact that I can take my family on this journey with me. It is very rewarding to know that I am affecting lives by doing with I am passionate about – being a role model and helping others.

Last Wednesday, I had the honor of attending the official lighting of“Bright Nights” in Springfield, MA. “Bright Nights” is a holiday lighting display in Springfield that is one of the largest tourist attractions in the Northeast! For the countdown, I was in the good company of the Mayor Dominic Sarno and The Lieutenant Governor, Tim Murray.
On Friday, (after recovering from the annual Thanksgiving “food coma”), I participated in Springfield's “Big Balloon Parade”. I was joined by a few of the local titleholders and had fun, despite the chilly temps and damp air.

I was thrilled to find the GirlScouts marching and had some girl-talk with them before the parade began! I also ran into an old friend from UMass (Hi Neil!) After the parade, my Mom and I had some bonding time as we shopped a few “Black Friday” Sales. The holidays are underway!
Love, Alicia

No comments: