Monday, November 24, 2008

UMass UDance

This past Saturday, I attended a very special event benefiting the “Children's Miracle Network”. I returned to UMass – Amherst and was a guest at the “UMass Udance-A-Thon”. The dance-a-thon was a 24 hour long dance party that showcased special guests and children from Baystate Hospital in Springfield, MA. I was so taken back as to how many people were participating in this event... It was awesome!
When I arrived, I met with Ely Dunn of Baystate Hospital, who has become a dear friend of mine through my involvement with CMN. She asked me if I would speak about my involvement with the Children at Baystate, how the funds raised would be used, and my job as Miss Massachusetts. I gladly agreed and took the stage. While speaking, I felt such a connection with this audience... After all, they were my peers. I told them about my interactions with children at Baystate and about how I am preparing to compete in the Miss America Pageant. Their cheers made it more real to me that I was not only representing myself and my family at Miss America, I would be representing each of them, The University of Massachusetts-Amherst, and ALL of Massachusetts... crazy. After I spoke, I danced and visited with volunteers.

Every hour or so, the event would feature “Morale Boosters”, many of which were children or parents of children who were treated at a Children's Miracle Network hospital. The entire time that I was at the dance-a-thon, there was a child there who wouldn't step off of the dance floor. He danced with everyone and people were falling in love with him. When it came time for another “Morale Booster” everyone took a seat and this boy's mother walked on stage. She explained to everyone that her son has been ill since he as born and then a video was shown detailing the boy's experience at Baystate Hospital. As the video was playing, I glanced around the room and saw tears welling up in most people's eyes, then I looked at the courageous young boy. At that moment, everyone remembered why they were there... to help improve the life of someone else. After the video, the volunteers were refreshed and ready to get back to dancing and raising money for the Children's Miracle Network. I think that it is important that we are all reminded how lucky were are and how essential it is that we help each other in times of need.

After leaving the Dance-a-thon, my spirits were sky-high. Before heading home, I had to make a pit-stop at Antonio's and grab some pizza (sorry, Katie Boyd)... GO! GO U! GO U-MASS! GO UMASS!!
Love, Alicia

No comments: