Friday, November 14, 2008

Veteran's Day

Oh mock interviews... Miss America prep has kicked into high gear. I have been reading the newspaper, TIME Magazine, and Newsweek to form opinions on current events, exercising in attempt to get myself into “peak physical condition”, and shopping for my Miss America wardrobe. It is crazy to think “how will this all come together?” I tend to ask myself that question quite often, but I have faith that it will!

Speaking of faith, being Miss Massachusetts has made me much more spiritual. Being a titleholder is definitely a job that requires a lot of hard work. When times get tough, I remind myself that God has chosen this for me for a reason. He led me to win a state title and represent my state at Miss America. There are many amazing young women who would love to be in my shoes. I'm part of an elite group who get to live out this dream and I feel incredibly humbled and fortunate to do so.



Competing at the Miss America Pageant is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and you want to be as prepared as possible for it. I think that one of the best ways to get ready for Miss America is by concentrating on working as a state titleholder. This past week, I had the chance to celebrate Veteran's Day in my hometown! Last Friday, I traveled to three different locations to visit Veterans. I was honored to be able to speak at each location and to personally thank each and every one of the Veterans for their commitment to our country and courage to defend it. At the Soldier's Home in Holyoke, MA. I found a gold dove that was dedicated to my Great Grandfather (Big papa) Mike D'Angelo, who was a Veteran. My Great Grandfather passed away and seeing that dove was like seeing him wave to me... It touched my heart.

On Saturday morning, I attended a brunch that honored the West Springfield Male and Female Veteran of the Year. Congratulations to Timothy Douglas and Lida Powell! These outstanding individuals were recognized at the event. I was especially inspired by the speech that Female Veteran of the Year, Lida Powell, delivered. She is a mother of two beautiful young ladies and hearing her experiences about serving our country while her daughters were at home, was very moving.


On Tuesday, I marched in a local parade with the West Springfield's Veteran's Council, including the Male and Female Veteran's of the Year, Timothy and Lida. I had a few laughs with Timothy because West Springfield actually gave him a sash (that resembled my Miss Massachusetts sash!) for him to wear in the parade. We were able to hand out flags during the march, while we boogied to the tunes of the West Springfield High School Band... Lots of fun!


After the parade, I went to Beaven Kelly Rest Home to award the Veterans a Certificate of Appreciation. The residents of the rest home were filled with questions for me and loved seeing my crown. I had a hard time leaving because I enjoyed talking with the residents so much!

I hope that everyone had a day of reflection and appreciation on this Veteran's Day. It is important that we are all aware of the sacrifice that so many people are making.


Love, Alicia



No comments: