Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tango!


One of the most valuable lessons that I have learned from being Miss Massachusetts, is to go with the flow. Before this experience, I needed to have everything planned and felt most comfortable knowing exactly what to expect. I've learned that if you have immerse yourself in the moment and not take yourself too seriously, you will have the most fun and connect with the most people...

A few months ago, I received an email about being a special guest at a “Dancing With the Stars” event to benefit the Jackson Mann Community Center in Boston, MA. I gladly agreed because 1.) I am a dancer. 2.) I love the television show "Dancing With the Stars". 3.) Anything that I can do to help anyone, I will do. As the event got closer, I wasn't receiving much information other than the location and time.Well, the night before I was told that I was scheduled to perform the Tango! Now, when I say I am a dancer, I mean that I am a ballet, modern, jazz, tap dancer... not Tango. I was going to be auctioned off and the highest bidder would win a dance with me. I kept thinking “that poor person who is going to be paying to dance the Tango with Miss Massachusetts doesn't know what they are getting themselves into...” When I arrived at the event, I was greeted by the other “local celebrities” including Joyce Kulhawik, Sr. Rena Foley, and Ayla Brown. In the end, my Tango was auctioned off for $275... I had a blast and met some amazing people! Thank you to the Jackson Mann Community Center for arranging this event and allowing me to take part!

The next morning was the “Miss Western MA / Greater Holyoke” Pageant. This is something that is very dear to my heart. My journey to Miss America began on that small stage at Holyoke High School when I won the title of “Miss Western Massachusetts”. This year, I really enjoyed getting to know the girls backstage and helping our Host, Eric Fisher from News40.
Congratulations to our new “Miss Western MA”, “Miss Greater Holyoke”, and “Miss Pioneer Valley” and best of luck at the Miss MA pageant!

Love, Alicia

No comments: