Friday, March 27, 2009

St. Patrick's Day


March 22nd was my Dad's Birthday! I was scheduled to ride in a parade on that morning, so I decided to have my Dad ride in the car with me. For my Dad, that would be like a Birthday gift. Seriously. My Dad loves the fact that I am Miss Massachusetts. It is really funny how much he enjoys it....

For example, one day, while driving his car, I looked on the passenger seat and there was a print out of a photo of us in a parade. I was sitting on the top of the car and my Dad was in the passenger seat. In the pic, we were both waving to the camera. On the side of the car, was a magnetic sign that was supposed to read “Miss Massachusetts”... On the picture of us, instead of the sign reading “Miss Massachusetts”, he added a “-ter” to make it read “Mister Massachusetts”! I am sure that he showed everyone at work and they all got a kick out of it, like I did! Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY! I love you very much! <3

The parade that I was involved with on the 22nd is the 2nd largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the nation... The Holyoke St. Partick's Day Parade! The city of Holyoke, MA is next to my hometown, West Springfield, MA and I was looking forward to seeing a few familiar faces. The parade begins in a huge parking lot, where everyone has food/drink stations set up to stimulate mingling. When I arrived, I was greeted by Mayor Gibson of West Springfield, the 2009 West Springfield Colleen and her court and other residents including my old dance teacher, Miss Beth! Miss Beth has had such an impact on my life. She taught dance classes but also taught me about hard work, how to set goals, and how to stay committed to achieving them. It was great to see her and her children!

While waiting for the parade to begin, I got to walk around and view the different floats and talk to members of different Organizations. The wind began to pick up and everyone kept commenting on how my hair would get stuck in my crown. It was a nice convo starter :)



Anyway, the parade itself was almost 3 miles long and moved at a slow pace. While riding, I couldn't believe how many people were calling my name. “Alicia! Alicia! Alicia!” So many people in fact, that I thought that my name was on the side of the car. I was overjoyed by how well received I was! It warms my heart to know that people recognize me, my title, the work that I am doing, and the wonderful Organization that I am representing.

Later in the week, I was invited to a Children's Miracle Network Luncheon. I really enjoyed this event because I was able to inform others about the partnership between the Miss America Organization and the Children's Miracle Network. I am honored to take part in these programs that enhance the lives of so many.

Love, Alicia

No comments: