Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Right Decisions Right Now

Last week, I continued to visit schools to promote, "Right Decisions Right Now" and let me tell you, I had so much fun! I've decided that I am going to document this experience by attempting to write a few highlights from each school that I visit. Here goes...

On Wednesday, I went to Glenwood School to speak with the 5th grade students. When I arrived, I was excited to learn that my "contact person" was actually my second cousin (Mom's cousin)! It was great to see her and to catch up! She took me to the library where I would make my presentation to a smaller group than I am used to speaking with. I really felt like the smaller group made it easier for the students to open up to me. It was like I was chatting with my little brother or sister and giving them advice, which was nice. After my presentation, I went to visit a couple of Kindergarten classrooms, where the children kept calling me "The Queen of Massachusetts"!!


The next day, I was off to Sullivan School in Holyoke, MA to present to the 7th and 8th grade students. The group was energetic and eager, which made my job a lot easier! During the presentation, the Fire Alarm went off and we all had to evacuate the gym... Once we were outside, I had a wonderful time getting to know the students. After my presentation, I went into a few classrooms to say "hello". I was excited to see my friends, Ari and Maya Birks! In Ari's classroom, her friends read me journal entries that they were working on about what they planned on doing over summer vacation. I love children!



On Friday, I presented to the 8th grade at Agawam Middle School. I was very impressed with how the presentation was set up... I am a dancer/performer, so being able to speak on stage to a large group (spotlight and all!) was a lot of fun! After being asked about my talent, the students asked me to dance for them... Instead, I asked them if any one in the audience could dance. To my surprise, there was a Break-Dancer who came on stage with me and put on a show! It was really neat to see how engaged in the presentation these students were.


On Friday evening, I headed to Boston, MA to meet and have dinner with Miss New Hampshire, Natalie Shaw. It was a fantastic way to end the week. We walked around, at at an outdoor Italian Restaurant (Thanks to the LOVELY weather!) then grabbed some dessert (2 cupcakes and a canoli), all while catching up on what we have both been up to since Miss America. Seeing Natalie made me once again realize how lucky I am to experience this year... and to be in the company of some of the most amazing women in the USA, the Miss America class of 2009! Ladies, if you're reading this -- "I miss you all very much and hope to see you soon! Let's start planning the Hawaii Reunion! ;)"

Love, Alicia

No comments: