Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Visiting Sponsors and NYC Trip

Since being crowned Miss Massachusetts, much of my time has been devoted to visiting sponsors, completing endless amounts of Miss America paperwork, and planning my year... I have been enjoying every moment! When visiting sponsors, I cannot thank them enough on behalf of the young women vying for the title of Miss MA. They help make pageant week more enjoyable by donating their products and services to the pageant.

This past week, I also had the opportunity to spend a few days in New York City. Before I won Miss Massachusetts, I won a national modeling competition and became a "KMart Style Showoff." To enter the contest, I sent in a photo of myself along with a 100 word essay describing my personal style... easy enough for me since I am a girl who is obsessed with Fashion :) Months passed and I forgot about the contest, until someone notified me that I had won the Grand Prize! The prize package included KMart/Sears gift cards, an opportunity to appear in a National ad, and a trip to NYC. The main reason for the trip to NYC was to visit the KMart Design Center in Soho. I had the opportunity to see how a department store like KMart, takes inspiration from the runway and incorporates it into their own clothing designs. I witnessed what goes into picking fabrics, colors, cuts, and styles that will be showcased in KMart stores in the Spring of 2009. Being someone who is interested in the Fashion Industry, it was inspiring to watch the talented designers work their magic.

A huge thank you goes out to KMart, Lisa Schultz, and everyone at the Soho Design Center for allowing me to observe their creative process, valuing my opinion, and leading me to Magnolia Bakery and the fabulous vintage shops of NYC!

This reminds me that I need to give a special "Hello!" to my fellow KMart Fashionistas. The week before I won Miss Massachusetts, I was presented with an opportunity that I could not pass up. KMart was sponsoring the Daytime Emmy Awards and wanted me to attend! I was in LA for a week where I had the most unbelievable time. During the week, I shot promos with ABC that were aired on national television during the Daytime Emmy Awards, met Soap Stars, walked the red carpet, and bonded with four amazing, positive, incredibly talented aspiring actresses... I miss you Milena, Caroline, and Angela! I hope to see you soon!

Spending time with those women taught me to value every moment and to treat it like a blessing. I carried that attitude with me to the Miss Massachusetts pageant and will carry it with me to Miss America and through my year of service.

Love, Alicia

No comments: