Thursday, July 31, 2008

Massachusetts State House




I have just returned from a visit from the Massachusetts State House in Boston! My father was very excited when he heard about this event. He came with me, which made my day even more special.

We were greeted at the State House by Mary Riley who formally introduced me to Senator Stephen Buoniconti. Senator Buoniconti and I have a special bond... He is from my hometown, West Springfield, MA. and every time I have been in the newspaper, sends me a laminated copy with a personal note! Senator Boniconti gave me a tour of the State House and told me some quirky facts. Did you know that the distance to Boston, MA. is measured by how far away you are from a certain chandelier in the State House? I thought that was interesting!


Before breaking for lunch, I was introduced to the Senate by Senator Buoniconti and to the House of Representatives by State Representative James Welch (who is also from my hometown). I looked over at my Dad as I was being introduced and he was there with tears in his eyes as his little girl was receiving a standing ovation from the Senate and the House of Representatives. I will never forget that moment...

As I was leaving the State House, people got such a kick out of someone walking around Boston with a crown and banner. Duck Tours drove by yelling to me and waving, people came up to me during lunch asking for photos (I hope I didn't have anything in my teeth...) and people stopped me on the street for autographs!

I enjoyed meeting everyone that day and I am so thankful for the amazing opportunity!


Special Thank you to Mary Riley, Senator Stephen Buoniconti, State Representative James Welch, and everyone at the Massachusetts State House for making me feel like a Queen.

Love, Alicia

No comments: