Saturday, May 23, 2009

Back to WSHS... very Bizarro!

On Monday, I paid a special visit to West Springfield High School, my alma mater. High School was a wonderful time for me. My passion for the performing arts, education, and people was amplified during grades 9-12 and I owe most of that growth to thestaff and students at West Springfield High School. I spent the day speaking with various classes about setting goals, believing in yourself, and dedicating yourself to your aspirations.

Each hour long presentation inspired me. It was surreal for me to be back in classrooms where I once sat, this time encouraging other people to dream and accomplish. I wasn't there to tell all the young girls to compete in pageants because it is glamorous or how cool it was to be on a reality show... I was there to tell everyone that whatever their goal is -- to be a teacher, to graduate with honors, to be a pro hockey player, to be a mother -- that with work, it can be done. Simple as that. I came in as an example. When I was in High School, sitting in that same classroom, I didn't think "I want to be Miss Massachusetts or I want to be Miss America." one of my goals was to make a difference in the lives of others. I did that by working hard as a student, dance teacher, and role model. The goal of becoming Miss Massachusetts was an opportunity that came about because of all of my previous hard work. Anything is possible when you open yourself up to opportunity and give 110% all of the time.

When my presentations were complete, I walked around the school, saw my old locker (didn't remember the combo) and finally, walked into the Auditorium. To most people this room is a place with a stage, a place to go during an assembly. Not many people know how much the Auditorium at West Springfield High School means to me. The stage was where I performed in my very first dance recital at the age of 2. It is where I have danced hundreds of times as a child, teen, young adult. That stage, the smell of the Auditorium ignited my passion for the performing arts. The memories created on that stage formed who I am today. My journey to Miss America began on THAT stage. Walking on it with a crown on my head humbled me, reminded me how blessed I am, how hard I have worked to get to where I am today.

"The future is not something that we enter,

the future is something that we create."

Thank you to the students and staff of West Springfield High School (past and present) and especially to Mr. Ballentine for arranging my visit!

Now, I would like to talk a little about my Big Brother, Eddie. Eddie is a "struggling actor" in New York City. He is incredibly talented, caring, intelligent and so inspiring to me and I love him with all of my heart. My family is very close knit and supportive... Growing up, we were best friends and it is nice to see that continue into adulthood. Eddie was home for a few days this past week and we had the most amazing time together! He even came to an appearance with me and my Dad!
The appearance was at Six Flags New England and was the Grand Opening/Media Day for the "Bizarro" rollercoaster! This came about when I met the President of Six Flags new England, Larry Litton at a charity luncheon a couple of months ago. During our conversation, I mentioned that I enjoyed riding rollercoasters. He asked if I was a "rollercoaster enthusiast", I said "yes" (because I do LOVE riding them)! He then invited me to the grand opening of their newest coaster, Bizarro, and told me that I would be one of the first people to ride it!
I was super excited for this, especially because Mr. Litton allowed me to bring my Dad (who loves rollercoasters, too) and my brother! Let me rephrase that... I was excited UNTIL I saw the "Bizarro". The Bizarro is a transformed version of the Superman Coaster. It is enormous, reaches 77mph and includes a 221ft. drop! Did I bit off more than I could chew by telling Larry that I was a rollercoaster enthusiast? My brother, Eddie certainly thought so! While we were in line, my brother agreed to sit out the first ride... so my Dad and I mustered up the courage and buckled our belts! The ride was breathtaking! Along with the coaster itself, the effects during the ride were amazing and included fog and fire!

After I rode the first time, Mr. Litton found me and asked what I thought. I told him how awesome it was and he asked if I would like to take photos with him for media purposes, sitting in the front car. Of course, I agreed! After the photos, Mr. Litton told me to buckle up because we were riding the coaster again, in the FRONT car! It was even better being in the very front of the ride... the first plunge felt like you were doing a somersault... 221 feet in the air! When coming off of the ride the 2nd time, I couldn't help but express to my Dad and bother how they HAD to ride in the front cart... So, Eddie decided to ride with me again in the front seat! I cannot thank Larry Litton and the staff of Six Flags New England for allowing my family and i to take part in such a special occasion! We had an absolute blast and won't forget it!

Love, Alicia

No comments: