Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life
to something bigger than oneself." -Joseph Campbell

On this Memorial Day (an every day) it is important that we reflect on those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to our country and our freedom. We must also ponder those who courageously have fought, are fighting, and will fight for our country. Please also keep in mind the families of soldiers because they too, are serving. Today, remember that freedom isn't free.

In honor of Memorial Day, I was invited to take part in my hometown's Memorial Day Parade and Memorial Day service. The parade was wonderful because I saw many familiar faces from West Side. It was my last parade as Miss Massachusetts and it was humbling to ride through the streets of downtown West Springfield with the Miss Massachusetts crown perched on my head. This crown not only belongs to me, but it belongs to those streets and those people. My hometown has been overwhelmingly supportive during my journey and I will be forever grateful! I look forward to continuing my service in West Springfield (and Massachusetts!) long after my reign has ended.
Sincerest, heartfelt thanks to past, present, and future Veterans and their families. You are in our thoughts and prayers! Special Thank you to Jim Berrelli and the West Springfield Veterans Council for allowing me to participate! God Bless!

On Thursday, I paid a visit to Tatham School to give a "Right Decisions Right Now" presentation. A few of my friends from High School are now teachers and seeing them during my school tour is always fun! I imagine that being a teacher requires a lot of patience, energy, dedication, and hardwork... but I am not sure of many jobs that would be quite so rewarding. I am enjoying speaking with tudents during my school tour. At Tatham, I spoke with two 5th grade classes, handed out photos and answered questions... ALWAYS fun! Children remind us all to continue to learn and laugh.

Love, Alicia

No comments: