Sunday, May 17, 2009

Springfield's Pancake Breakfast

On Tuesday, I paid a very special visit to John Ashley School. Not only did I attend John Ashley as a youngster, but my neighbor and and Uncle work there! Getting out of the car, I could already hear people whispering about the crown on my head. As I approached the door, I saw two little girls with their Moms; the girls were absolutely adorable and in awe of the hardware perched on top of my hair. I introduced myself to them and we began to talk about "Princesses".

Before long, they had spotted every crown that I was wearing that day... my Miss Massachusetts crown, the crown on my sash, crown ring, crown on my crownbox, crown bag, etc. It was like a treasure hunt for them!

I slowly made my way into the school where I found my Uncle Jimmy. Uncle Jim gave me a quick tour of the school, complete with an attempt to see his "school cat" Moochie. I don't know if he is exaggerating, but he tells me that the cat is huge and weighs something like 30 or so pounds! Unfortunately, I could not spend all day looking for the giant cat, so I made my way through the gym class playing dodgeball and into my neighbor's classroom to read.

Everytime that I walk into a classroom filled with young children, I want to cry tears of joy. The looks on the faces of these young people touch my heart in a way that I can't explain... Some look overjoyed, like it's some sort of a dream and they can't believe that someone wearing a crown is visiting them, while others look so shocked that it literally makes me belly laugh! There was a definite mix of those emotions in the room. We had a short introductary period where I talked a little about myself and they each told me their names and favorite colors and hobbies. I think that it is important to relate to the audience in which you are speaking with, to get to their level, because that is the best way to reach children and make them feel at ease. After a short question and answer segment, I read a few book aloud, including "In a Dark, Dark, Wood" which featured the students "Oooos" and "Ahhs" as I tried to make the tale as dramatic as possible! At the end of storytime, I shared a few of my experiences from my year as Miss Massachusetts and the importance of working hard in school, listening to your parents and teachers, and believing in yourself. I then took my crown off and allowed the students to pass it around, very carefully.


I sometimes get slightly nervous that someone will drop it or break it but then I remind myself that crowns are replaceable... moments are not.



Grateful, the students then insisted of giving me a tour of their classroom. I was honored to be taken by the hand to each part of their class by "leaders" who showed me their kitchen area, puzzle area, science area (where caterpillar cacooons were), computer area, and journal area. I spent some time at each station before I had to head out. Before leaving John Ashley School, I peeked my head into my old preschool classroom and was excited to see that my preschool teacher was still there leading lessons. We had the chance to catch up a bit as I shared some stories from my year with her and her students... two of which were the little girls that I had met upon entering the school, the "crown counters"!

My "Right Decisions Right Now" School Tour continued on Wednesday when I visited Chicopee Comprehensive High School. I was blown away when I walked in to the new school. It was BEAUTIFUL! After the presentation, I was led on a tour and saw the huge swimming pool, advanced technology center, and RESTUARANT! Yes, this High School has their own cafe that is student run! This allows the students interested in the restaurant business and/or culinary practices to hone their skills. Thank you to the students and staff for giving me the VIP tour, flowers, and CCHS T-Shirt!
The next morning, I was off bright and early to Anna E. Barry Elementary School for another presentation. Here, I met many wonderful students who asked so many questions. No matter how long it takes, I try to answer as many questions as I can because I adrmire th curiousity of the students. After all, you learn by asking questions! As I was heading out of the school, I saw a familiar face. It was my dance teacher's husband, Mr. Drugan and he was the Principal! It was a wonderful way to wrap up my last school visit of the week :)
On Saturday the 16th, I attended the World's Largest Pancake Breakfast in Springfield, MA! I attended the event with my Mom, Dad, and Grandma. Have I mentioned before that I have the BEST family? They are all so incredibly supportive of everything that I do. I cannot thank them enough for believing so much in me and the work that I do. We met with the clan from the "Miss Western MA/Greater Holyoke" pageant, who are also like family to me. My first local title was "Miss Western Massachusetts" and I blame this group of people for giving me the "pageant bug". Look to where that has led me?! ;)

The local titleholders from Western Massachusetts and I walked around the streets of downtown Springfield that were closed for the festivities. The people snacking on pancakes were so friendly! Then again, who isn't when they're eating those delicious things, right? In all seriousness, the people that I encounter at appearances are what give this title such purpose. I am working for them, to represent them, and to help them in any way that I can.The local titlholders and I took many photos, met the ABC40 News Team, kissed a frog, met Ronald Mcdonald, rode a skateboard and mingled with the townspeople of Western Massachusetts!
Love, Alicia

No comments: