Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Beginning May with a Wonderful Weekend

Just got back from a whirlwind of a time...

On Friday evening, I traveled to New Hampshire to bid farewell to Miss New Hampshire 2008, Natalie Shaw, and to welcome Miss New Hampshire 2009 in to the Miss America sisterhood! Once I arrived, I was thrilled to see a couple of my Miss America sisters : Miss RI 2008 and Miss ND 2008!


The Miss New Hampshire organization puts on a fantastic show! I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was with the production, the talent showcased, and the scholarships that each contestant received. People tend to forget why young women become involved in this program. Yes, we want to improve the lives of others. Yes, we each have a passion and a talent that we want to perform for an audience... and YES, we want to acheive our personal and professional goals with the scholarship money that we earn by competing.

Anyway, I have an interesting story... The night of the pageant, I primarily went to cheer on my dear pal - Miss NH 08, Natalie Shaw. I did not know any of the contestants competing. After the visiting titleholder introductions, I was waiting backstage and a young lady came up to me and we began chatting. I remembered watchng her talent onstage... BEAUTIFUL piano piece. She was in the Top 10 and was waiting to go back onstage for the announcement of the Top 5 and the crowning. I asked her if she was nervous and then told her to enjoy the nerves. She said that she was nervous (what contestant isn't at the point, right?) and I told her to relax because she had done her best and if it was meant for her to be Miss New Hampshire 2009, she would be. She agreed.

After a few minutes of chit-chat, I went back to my seat to watch the rest of the show, truly believing in what I had said backstage. Whoever was meant to win tonight, would... Lo and behold, this young lady made the Top 5... and ultimately won the title of Miss New Hampshire 2009!
CONGRATULATIONS to Lindsey Graham, Miss New Hampshire 2009 and of course to Natalie Shaw, Miss New Hampshire 2008!

So much fun! So much excitment... and it doesn't stop there. The next day, I was invited to attend Six Flags New England "Summer Kickoff Concert" as a VIP guest! When I arrived, I met with the Park President, Larry Litton. He then led me backstage to the VIP area where the bands hung out and I met his lovely family! Also hanging out backstage was Erin Lucas from "The City", whom I talked with for a bit. I must admit, it was a tad awkward wearing a crown and sash at a concert like this, so you can imagine that an outgoing lady like myself would try her best to make herself comfortable by conversing with others. While I was attempting to pin on my crown, I began talking with a young man who was looking at my like I had 35 eyes. I asked his name, where he was from, and if he was enjoying the concert. Well, the time came for The Veronica's to go onstage and there goes my new pal, Mike, (as in Mike Sherman --> the bassist of The Veronica's)! He hops onstage and does his thing. I also watched Lady Gaga (interesting...) and the band Boys Like Girls. It was a lot of fun and I want to thank Larry Litton and Six Flags New England for inviting me to the event!

If I have learned anything by doing appearances this yer it is that hands down, the most important job requirement of being Miss Massachusetts is being able to relate with all different types of people. So after mingling with Rock Stars on Sunday, I went to speak at a Luncheon for the Ramapogue Women's Club in Agawam, MA. At this event, I spoke about the importance of scholarships, my job as Miss Massachusetts, and the great things that the Miss America Organization does. I had the opportunity to meet the four very talented and intelligent young ladies who received the Ramapogue Women's Scholarship for 2009! My Aunt Josie came along and we enjoyed catching up with eachother and the people of the community. Thank you to the Ramapogue Women's Club and Congratulations to the Scholarship Winners! Keep reaching for your goals!!

Love, Alicia

No comments: