Friday, May 1, 2009

More RDRN...

My school tour continued last week as I visited four more schools in Massachusetts speaking with students about making healthy decisions. On Tuesday, I was very excited to visit two schools in my hometown of West Springfield!


My first stop was at Coburn School. I had been invitied by the Principal - Mrs. Doe... who was actually my 1st grade teacher! She informed me of how much her students were anticipating my visit. She had dropped hints for the past month about a "special guest" visiting the 5th grade students. She also brought a photo of my from when I was in first grade and asked the students to guess which young lady was coming in! (See below for a photo of a few friends and I in 1st grade...) We had a lot of fun and I was really impressed with how engaged the students were the whole time. They even had some terrific questions for me pertaining to peer pressure, growing up in West Side, and self confidence issues. One of the student actually asked me if I liked chicken nuggets (not lie!!) Little did those children know that I am ADDICTED to chicken nuggets. So much in fact that I sometimes have to fool myself into thinking that they are okay to eat because they have protein in them...

Anyyywayy, after signing autographs and taking photos with the students, I had a quick lunch (obviously of chicken nuggets) then headed to my second presentation of the day which was Memorial School, also in West Springfield. This group was a lot smaller than my first, so after the presentation I had more time to spend conversing with the students in a one-on-one setting, which I particularly enjoy.

On Wednesday, I continued the school tour, this time at Northampton High School. This presentation was a little bit... different. I was chatting with a group of High Schoolers, which is COMPLETELY different than presenting to younger students. I believe that to truly get the points of my presentation across to an audience, the audience must feel as though they can relate to me in a certain manner. With a High School crowd, this can sometimes be challenging... To do this at Northampton High School, I asked the students about each other their individual talents. A few shared that they could dance and sing, so I invited them to the front of the classroom where we had an impromptu talent show! There were even young men showing me their runway strut! So much fun.

I was blessed with a beautiful day in Northampton. After the school visit, Keith and I met up with Helen Hua (Miss Pioneer Valley) and we enjoyed a lovely lunch at Northampton Brewing Company!

After lunch we all walked around in downtown Northampton. Helen had to stop at the bank and before we knew it, she was emerging with one of the bank's employees... Helen laughed as she introduced the woman to us as the "person who notorized my pageant paperwork"! The funny part was, as excited as Helen was, the banker was thrilled to see her again and to meet Keith and I (her business manager and Miss MA). It really goes to show how much the Miss America Organization still excites the public!!


It was a fantastic afternoon that included gorgeous weather and great company. The Amherst/Northampton area holds such a dear place in my heart. I attended UMass Amherst where I fell in love with the people, culture, and FOOD in the area! Pasta E Basta, Antonio's, Fitzwilly's and on and on and on! ;)

On Thursday, I had my final school visit of the week at Bellamy School in Chicopee, MA. Keith had set up this appearance with his Mom, who works there! I was happy to finally meet Keith's Mother. She is outrageously sweet and it is obvious that everyone respects and adores her. I presented to the 5th graders in the gymnasium, then had a tour of the school. While I was walking the halls, I heard someone yell my name. When I turned around, I couldn't believe to see a friend of mine from school! I have known "Miss Rachel" since Elementary school and she was now a teacher at Bellamy! Before leaving, I had to make a special stop at her classroom... She taught a room of all male students who wanted to meet "Miss Massachusetts"! I had so much fun talking with them and to my surprise received a bundle of Thank You notes from them a few days later! These young men are true gentlemen who warmed my heart!



This week helped to solidify my thought that being Miss Massachusetts is the best. job. in. the. world.

By the way, Today (May 1st) is my half-birthday! I am 23 and 1/2 years old! Woohoo!

Love, Alicia

No comments: